Where Have I Been?

Well, I am now just barely getting over a cold, but I think the path here is interesting. This is what I remember of January.

3 weekends ago, we went to Tahoe, and the hit on the family was huge. It was a big energy drain as we lived in the snow for 4 days.

The next Thursday, I was heading for Park City, Utah to go to Sundance. Of course, to make things more complicated, I decide to buy a car. So, on that Wednesday I purchase a 2004 Honda Pilot in near mint condition (very low mileage). The next day I’m on a plane.

For the next 4 days I’m in the cold of Utah at the Sundance Film Festival. This was the festivals 25th anniversary. I went with a great group of people and had a lot of fun. After getting back, I tallied that I had seen 8 movies. More on the festival in another post.

After I get back, on Tuesday I resume work and fix bugs for a release that is happening on Thursday. Also worth noting is that I will not be at work on Thursday since I will be a participating parent at my daughters Pre-K class that day, so it’s gotta get done quickly. All goes well, I handle being in my daughters class, but I get the block room. This means that I have to clean the floors and the bathrooms after the kids are done. This means that I miss ‘circle time’.

The next day, I have to be at work early to interview a candidate. When I get there, I notice that I really don’t feel great. This is not a surprise since there were at least 4 people not at work on Friday due to an illness going around the office. I struggle through the day, but the next day, Saturday, is basically a picture of me asleep all day. This may have been due to my own idea of a natural remedy… drink a half a bottle of Merlot the night before. Don’t give those microorganisms a comfy environment and enjoy the process at the same time.

Does it end there? Nope, some more hoops to jump through, of course.

It turns out that my wife decided to repaint the interior of the house when I was gone and this was the weekend to finish. So most of the house was out of place and there were fans blowing everywhere. Add to that, we got an invite a week earlier from an old friend from Miami to have brunch on Sunday up on nob hill in the city. I call them late Saturday and mention that we’ll play it by ear. Sunday rolls around and I feel, ‘good enough’. We painstakingly get the family up to the city. We arrive just before they close the brunch and get to catch up. It was really good to see them as I haven’t seen them in 6 years. This couple was a positive influence on me when I was growing up in Miami. After we said our goodbyes, it was time to head back down the hill to the house. I don’t remember much after that. I think we got some Baja Fresh burritos since we were in a hurry and then I went to bed early again to try and get better for work the next day.

So then there is today and yesterday. I stayed home and recouped. I’m still just getting over this bug. Some of the other people in the office had to go see a doctor due to their own variant of the illness. I’ll probably make it into work tomorrow and then I’ll start putting all the pieces of my normal life back where they belong.

I still haven’t even unpacked my suitcase from Utah, and I like my new car 🙂

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Where Have I Been?

  1. Adam says:

    Congrats on the new car, Dru… and feel better!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.